October 28, 2010

Runway Look For Less: Shearling Leather Aviator Jacket

Saw something on the runway you absolutely adore but can't afford? Don't worry, you're not the only one! As a poor, meager student, my means are extremely limited. All the expensive textbooks, plus my Starbucks lifestyle don't exactly leave me with a runway fashion budget for every season. Fear not. That's what Zara and H&M are here for!

So I'd like to introduce you all to the first of a recurring segment called "Runway Look For Less", where I'll be showcasing fast fashion retailers' takes on the latest trends and seasonal must-haves.

Photo Credit: Burberry Prorsum
To name thee one runway piece that I'm absolutely and completely obsessed with this season would be Burberry's Shearling Leather Aviator Jacket. I don't know what it is, but the mixture of shearling and leather has created some sort of fashion aphrodisiac for me and I've been in love with this look ever since I first saw the Burberry Prorsum runway photos earlier this year. However, a look at the hefty price tags - for the one on the left: £2,995 (roughly HK$36,988) and the one on the right: £2,295 (roughly HK$28,238) - brought me back to my humble reality.

All is not lost though - after getting my haircut the other day, I saw THIS at the Zara in Times Square, Causeway Bay:

Photo Credit: ModeMan
Maybe I'm biased (since I snatched it right off the rack the moment I saw it and now it's sitting in my closet waiting for its debut), but I'd say the Zara version shares a, what, 90% similarity with the Burberry Prorsum one on the right? All that is missing are the two leather straps on the collar - which I briefly thought about fixing by getting two leather bracelets from H&M - but this is something I am willing to overlook, because the Zara version is only retailing at HK$899 (roughly £73)!

I know the Zara one doesn't even come close remotely in comparison to Christopher Bailey's divine creation, but it'll have to do for now!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...